Arizona is one of those states where it’s warm all year long. If you live in Phoenix, then you know you can ride your bike just about any time of year. Maybe you ride your bike to work. Or you may just ride it for exercise and to get out of the house. What you may not realize is that thousands of people are hurt every year in bicycle accidents. The Phoenix bicycle accident lawyers are well aware of this fact.
In 2018, there were close to 1,300 bicycle crashes in Arizona. Sadly, 24 people were killed in that same year as a result of their accident. And another 1,182 were injured. This means that almost everyone involved in a bike wreck is hurt or killed. That’s why we take them so seriously at TorkLaw. There’s simply nothing standing between you and the other vehicle. The chances of walking away unscathed are slim to none and the statistics show that.
Because these accidents are so dangerous, we work hard to get our clients the compensation they deserve. So, if you or your family member are hurt while riding your bicycle, you should call a skilled Phoenix bicycle accident lawyer as soon as possible after your accident. We can help you get justice. More importantly, we’ll make sure the defendant is held responsible for your injuries.
Phoenix Bicycle Accident Lawyers Know the Most Common Injuries Associated with a Bike Accident
Because bicycle accidents are so dangerous, most accident victims sustain serious injuries. This is why we recommend that all of our clients go to the emergency room immediately after their crash. The police will arrange for an ambulance to take you there. This way, you can get checked out by a doctor. They’ll do a physical examination and run the necessary tests to see if you’ve sustained internal injuries. They’ll also document your injuries in your medical records. Your Phoenix bicycle accident lawyer will need these records to prove your case.
Our bicycle accident clients tend to suffer the following types of injuries:
- Neck injuries
- Broken bones and bruises
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Burns and facial disfigurement
- Internal injuries
Since each case is different, we would have to review your case before we decide the extent of your injuries. That’s why we suggest that you come meet with a Phoenix bicycle accident lawyer at TorkLaw sooner rather than later.
What are the Most Common Causes of Bike Accidents?
Bicycle accidents are a little different from other types of motor vehicle accidents. This is because people who drive cars tend to ignore cyclists. Or they claim they didn’t see them. This is actually the number one excuse given for hitting a person while they’re riding a bike. Some of the more common causes of bicycle accidents are:
- The driver is texting or driving while distracted
- Drunk driving
- You cross at a street without a crosswalk
- You dart out into the road without warning
In order to prove your case, your Phoenix bicycle accident lawyer at TorkLaw will need to determine the cause. Then they can work on proving the defendant’s fault.
What Sort of Damage Can Your Phoenix Bicycle Accident Lawyer at TorkLaw Demand?
When you first meet with our office, we’re going to look to see what sort of damages you may be entitled to. Most of our clients demand the following types of compensation:
- Medical bills and future medical bills
- Lost wages
- Lost future income
- Property damage
- Pain and suffering
There’s no way to tell you for sure what your case is worth. We need to look at the facts of your case and evaluate it thoroughly. Every case is unique, and it wouldn’t be fair to promise any of our clients a certain amount of money.
How Does Your Phoenix Bicycle Accident Lawyer Prove Negligence?
In almost any bicycle accident case, your attorney will have to prove negligence. In order to do this, they need to show four (4) things:
- The defendant owed you a duty of care – This isn’t hard. All your bicycle lawyer has to do is point out that all motorists owe a duty of care to people on the road. At a minimum, they need to abide by all of the traffic laws.
- They breached this duty – This is the hardest part of your case. You do have to show that the defendant did something (or didn’t do something) that breached their duty of care. For example, if you can show the driver was speeding at the time of the crash, they will likely be found negligent.
- You were injured – This sounds simple. However, you’d be surprised how many of our clients don’t go to the hospital after their accident. This is the biggest mistake you could make. Your Phoenix bicycle accident lawyer at TorkLaw needs to prove that you were hurt. The only way to do this is by using your medical records.
- You do need to show that your injuries were caused by the defendant’s breach of duty – This is not all that difficult. Unless something happened before or after your crash, it would be hard for the defendant’s lawyer to argue that your injuries weren’t directly caused by the accident.
If we can prove these four things, you should have a good chance at collecting damages.
Talk to a Phoenix Bicycle Accident Lawyer at TorkLaw Today So You Don’t Miss Your Filing Deadline
Most of our clients who were involved in a bicycle accident suffer some pretty serious injuries. So we understand that it can take some time to recover. What we recommend is that, once you receive the emergency medical treatment that you need, you call and talk to one of our lawyers here in Phoenix. You only have a certain amount of time to file your lawsuit in Phoenix. This is because the statute of limitations in Arizona is only two (2) years. And if you’re filing suit against the city, you only have one (1) year to sue. That may sound like a lot of time. But it goes by pretty fast. You don’t want to waste any time.
Your Phoenix bicycle accident lawyer at TorkLaw is going to need time to prepare your case. This could take months. You don’t want to wait until the last minute to meet with your lawyer. The last thing you want to do is miss your filing deadline. If this happens, you won’t be able to sue at all. That’s why we recommend you call our office as soon as possible after your accident. This way, we have plenty of time to adequately prepare your case and try to negotiate a settlement with the defendant.
All you have to do is call and talk to one of our staff who can set up a date and time for you to meet with us. One of our seasoned Phoenix bicycle accident lawyers will sit down and take the time to listen to your story. They can answer any questions you may have. They can also give you an idea of what your case is worth. The consultation is free and you don’t have to pay a dime until your case is resolved.