Being attacked by a dog can be very traumatic. This is especially true for small children. If you’re attacked by a dog in Phoenix, there’s a good chance you may have a claim for damages. It all depends on how serious your injuries are. The good news is that, of all the people attacked by a dog in Phoenix, more than 95% of them are discharged from the hospital quickly. That’s because most of these injuries aren’t all that serious. But that doesn’t mean everyone is so lucky. If you suffer any sort of dog bite injury, you need help. You should call and talk to one of the Phoenix dog bite lawyers at TorkLaw as soon as possible after the attack.
What is the Dog Bite Law in Phoenix, Arizona?
Almost every state has its own laws when it comes to dog bites. Arizona does as well. In Phoenix, Arizona, any dog owner is strictly liable for any injuries caused by their animal. This means that the dog’s owner will be responsible for your injuries, even if their dog has never attacked anyone before. Your Phoenix dog bite lawyer at TorkLaw doesn’t even need to prove negligence. If you’re bitten by a dog, their owner or keeper will likely have to pay damages.
How Can Your Phoenix Dog Bite Lawyer Prove Your Case?
Even though Arizona holds dog owners strictly liable for any injuries caused by their pet, that doesn’t mean you’re automatically entitled to damages. You still need to prove your case. There’s a chance that the defendant’s lawyer will claim that you were partially (or totally) at fault. If you provoked the dog, this might be the case. If they can prove that you caused the attack, you may not receive any damages at all. Or your damages may be reduced by your percentage of fault.
Are There Ways to Prevent a Dog Bite Injury?
Some people love dogs. Others are scared to death of strange animals. No matter what sort of person you are, we suggest you follow the below guidelines when it comes to dealing with any dog that isn’t yours:
- Never antagonize or provoke a dog
- Do not approach a dog that you don’t know
- If you’ve seen a dog act viciously, steer clear of the animal
- Never approach a dog that isn’t on a leash
- Do not try to pet a dog that is sleeping or eating
This may sound like common sense. However, you need to make sure you protect yourself and your children from both friendly and stray dogs. Follow these tips just to prevent any unnecessary injuries to you and your family.
Your Phoenix Dog Bite Lawyer Will Fight for Your Damages
We understand that you want justice. But we also understand that you expect your Phoenix dog bite lawyer at TorkLaw to get you damages. Depending on how serious the animal attack is, you may be entitled to a significant amount of damages. It all depends on the facts of your case. Some of the damages we’ll demand include the following:
- Medical bills – If you require medical treatment for your dog bite, which most of our clients do, you can demand compensation. First, you can demand reimbursement for any out of pocket expenses you experienced. This includes hospital bills, medical equipment, and prescription copays. Second, you can demand compensation for future medical care. If your doctor states that you need additional surgeries or treatment, you may be entitled to additional damages.
- Pain and Suffering – Some dog bites aren’t very painful. However, if your attack is serious, your Phoenix dog bite lawyer at TorkLaw can ask for pain and suffering. These damages are intended to compensate you for the mental and physical anguish caused by your attack.
- Lost wages or future income – Hopefully, you won’t be out of work for that long. But if you miss a significant amount of time, you can ask for reimbursement for lost wages. Your Phoenix dog bite lawyer will submit proof of lost wages. You can also ask for compensation for any future income you will lose. If you can no longer do the same kind of work as you did before the bite, you may demand the difference income. For example, if you’re a hand model and you lose a finger because of the bite, you will no longer be able to work as a hand model. This will cause a big loss of income.
Until we meet with you and review your case, there’s no way to know for sure what sort of damages you can demand. Your Phoenix dog bite lawyer at TorkLaw will let you know what your case may be worth. It all depends on the facts of your case.
Call our Phoenix Dog Bite Lawyers at TorkLaw Right Away
Most of us have heard the phrase that a dog is man’s best friend. That may usually be the case. There are times, however, when a dog is anything but. Dogs can be cuddly and cute. But we need to remember that they are animals. As nice as they may be 99% of the time, they could get angry or lash out without warning. If this happens and you end up with serious injuries, you need to call a Phoenix dog bite lawyer at TorkLaw as soon as possible.
Talk to one of our staff and set up a date and time to come into the office. You can take advantage of your free initial consultation. If you can’t come in person, we can always conduct the meeting by phone or online. One thing we do ask is that you bring as much
- Copies of any letters from the defendant’s lawyer or insurance company
- A copy of your medical records
- Proof that the dog has attacked somebody in the past
- Proof that the dog’s owner has been cited for not taking care of his dog
- Pictures of your injuries
It only takes a few minutes to schedule your initial consultation. And remember, at TorkLaw, this initial meeting costs you nothing. You won’t have to pay a dime until your case is resolved.