Being involved in a bicycle accident is scary. The trauma can be overwhelming and the resulting legal processes often add to that stress. If you are involved in a bicycle accident and sustained major injuries from it, you should consider hiring an experienced bicycle accident attorney.
Why should you hire one? Trying to negotiate with an insurance company can be an intimidating and confusing process. If you suffered injuries or needed medical attention, you likely need help paying those hospital bills. A bicycle accident attorney will help you get your rightful compensation and help you throughout this whole ordeal.
Finding the right lawyer for your case is very important. They should understnad your needs and you should also be comfortable working with them. But the most important thing when choosing a bicycle accident attorney is to make sure that you can trust them. So how will you know who to choose? These following steps should be able to help you pick the suitable lawyer:
- Research different bicycle accident attorneys in your area. Read about their profiles and credentials.
- Write out the questions you want to ask the attorney. During the consultation, take notes of their answers.
- Book a consultation. Most attorneys offer free consultations so it is best to take advantage of the opportunity and speak to as many lawyers as possible.
- Review your notes. This way, you will know how they differ from each other and if one of them stands out from the rest.
- Hire the one that makes you feel comfortable.
The consultation is the most critical part in this process. This is the time when you will get to know an attorney better so you need to make the most out of it. In order to do that, you need to ask the right questions.
Questions you should ask in an initial consultation
Asking questions is the best way to learn more about a bicycle accident lawyer. This also helps in ultimately deciding who to choose in the end. The initial consultation is not just about talking about your accident and every detail of your case. It is also an opportunity to learn more about a lawyer’s expertise, knowledge, and skills. A good lawyer answers your questions honestly and directly. Below are some questions you might want to consider asking a lawyer during your initial consultation:
- What kind of experience do you have? This is a general question and will help you learn how long a lawyer has been in practice and the scope of his practice.
- What is your experience in representing bicycle accident victims? A good bicycle accident attorney knows the ins and outs of this type of case. Having extensive knowledge about bicycle accidents is important.
- How will you assess my case? After you get to know the background of an attorney, the next step is to discuss your case.
- How much compensation should I expect? A good lawyer will give you a rough estimate and explain the factors used to determine that amount. They will also tell you if you are eligible for compensation.
- How long will my case take? There is no definite time limit to your case but a lawyer will provide you the steps when building your case and how long they will probably take.
- What is your track record? Knowing a lawyer’s rate of success is also helpful in making a decision.
- Who will be working on my case? Sometimes, the lawyer you are consulting with is not the one who will handle your case.
- What are your fees? Bicycle accident attorneys work on a contingency basis which means that they don’t get paid unless they can recover damages from your case. If they are successful, they earn a percentage and a lawyer will tell you upfront how he is expected to be paid.
Book A Free Consultation With A TorkLaw Bicycle Accident Attorney
If you were involved in a bicycle accident and in need of legal assistance, contact TorkLaw at 888.845.9696 and get a free consultation with one of our bicycle accident attorneys. We are ready to answer all your questions and fight for your rights.