Atlanta Personal Injury Lawyer
When somebody is injured in any type of incident, they rely on Atlanta personal injury lawyers to get them justice. Atlanta is already one of the largest cities in the U.S. It is projected to have more than 8.5 million residents by the year 2050. As one can imagine, thousands of these residents get hurt every year at the hands of another. Most of these cases involve negligence. Others involve intentional or reckless acts. Thankfully, these victims can call on the experienced Atlanta personal injury lawyers to hold these people accountable.
Types of Cases Atlanta Personal Injury Lawyers Handle
There are a variety of personal injury cases. The one common theme with all of them is that the plaintiff is injured by another person. Most, if not all, of these cases involve some physical injury. However, they can be based on property damage as well. Regardless of the type of injury you suffer, you can count on seasoned Atlanta personal injury lawyers at TorkLaw to get you the compensation you deserve.
TorkLaw represents clients in all of the following types of personal injury cases in Georgia:
- Car Accidents – These make up a large percentage of personal injury claims. In 2018, there were more than 1,500 people in Georgia killed in car accidents. Thousands more were injured.
- Slip and Fall – If you fall while on someone else’s property, you may have a claim for damages.
- Dog Bites – Thankfully, these cases are on the decline with dog leash laws. However, if you are injured in a dog attack, the lawyers at TorkLaw can help.
- Pedestrian Accidents – More pedestrians are being injured today than ever before, and this is, in large part, due to the rise in distracted driving.
- Medical Malpractice – If your doctor in Atlanta injures you during surgery or misdiagnoses your illness, you need to contact our office.
- Premises Liability – If you’re injured in something other than a fall while on someone else’s premises, you can sue for damages.
- Wrongful Death – Sadly, not all personal injury victims survive their accident. If your loved one dies in an accident, our team of lawyers can help.
Following your accident, you will need to focus on recovering from your injuries. The team lawyers at TorkLaw can deal with the legal side of things while you do this. They’ll negotiate with the defendant’s insurance company and try to settle your claim. If this isn’t possible, they’ll file a personal injury lawsuit on your behalf.
Atlanta Personal Injury Lawyers Work on a Contingency Basis
If you retain TorkLaw to handle your personal injury case, you will not pay a dime until your case settles. This means that your lawyer doesn’t get paid unless you win. When your case settles or you win at trial, your attorney will be entitled to a certain percentage of your money. This percentage is determined when you retain your lawyer. After your free initial consultation, you’ll decide if you want to retain TorkLaw to represent you. If you do, you will be asked to sign a contingency fee agreement. This agreement outlines what percentage of your settlement of judgment will be paid to your attorneys. It will also explain that most, if not all, of the costs of your lawsuit, will come out of your settlement proceeds as well. TorkLaw will cover the costs of litigation. These monies will be reimbursed to the firm when you receive your settlement proceeds or damages. The typical contingency fee in Atlanta is anywhere from 33-40%. If your case settles without the need for a trial, the fee will be closer to 33%. However, if your case goes to trial, the rate will be a bit higher.
The Initial Consultation with TorkLaw is Free
Many people fear that it is expensive to meet with Atlanta personal injury lawyers for the first time. This isn’t true. You can meet with one of our skilled injury attorneys for free. As soon as possible after your accident, you’ll contact our office. You can do this by telephone, email, or through our website. You’ll schedule a date and time to come into the office and sit down with one of our compassionate Atlanta personal injury lawyers. The meeting typically lasts about a half-hour or an hour, depending on your case.
During your initial consultation, you and your attorney will discuss your case. They will give you an idea of how strong your case is. They may also give you an idea of what your case is worth. Since every case is different, the value of your case will depend on the circumstances.
It is important that you bring the following information with you for your free initial consultation:
- Police report
- Pictures and videos
- Copies of any correspondence from the defendant’s attorney
- Letters and emails from the insurance companies
- A copy of any medical records related to your accident
- Copies of any outstanding bills related to your injuries, such as mechanic bills, doctor bills and other out of pocket expenses
- Proof of any time missed from work
After your consultation, you’ll decide if you wish to retain TorkLaw to represent you in your personal injury claim. If so, your attorney will start negotiating with the defendant’s insurance company or lawyer to get you damages.
Atlanta Personal Injury Lawyers Will Demand Damages
The point of hiring a personal injury lawyer in Atlanta is to get compensation for your injuries. Depending on the seriousness of your accident, you may be entitled to a significant amount of damages. The types of damages your lawyer at TorkLaw will demand include the following:
- Medical Bills – The defendant is liable for any out of pocket medical expenses related to the accident.
- Future Medical Bills – If you need future medical treatment, the other party should be held responsible for this.
- Lost Wages – If you have missed more than a couple of weeks from work, you can demand compensation.
- Lost Future Income – If you can no longer do the same type of work after the accident, you can demand damages.
- Property Damage – Obviously, if any of your personal property, such as a car, is damaged or destroyed in the accident, you can demand reimbursement.
- Pain and Suffering – If your injuries are severe and painful, you can demand these damages to compensate you for mental and physical anguish. In Georgia, there is no cap on pain and suffering damages.
- Punitive Damages – These damages are meant to punish the defendant. They are rare but are common in cases involving reckless, criminal, or intentional behavior by the defendant. In Georgia, there is no limit on the number of punitive damages that can be awarded in a personal injury case.
Your Atlanta Personal Injury Lawyer
If you or your loved one are hurt in any sort of accident in Atlanta, you’re going to need help. The last thing you’re going to want to do after you’re hurt is fight with insurance companies. Atlanta personal injury lawyers can handle this for you. You can call and schedule your free initial consultation immediately following your accident. The defendant will have lawyers working for them, and you should have a good attorney in your corner, too. There is too much at stake to try to handle this on your own. The consultation is free, and you pay nothing until your case is settled.