If your loved one has died as the result of any sort of accident, you should contact an experienced wrongful death lawyer in Atlanta. Unfortunately, thousands of people die in accidents in this country every year. These victims are not able to speak for themselves. This is why Georgia law provides that family members of fatal accident victims can sue on their behalf. Atlanta wrongful death lawyers represent people who have standing to sue. This includes, for the most part, the immediate family of the deceased.
If your loved one has passed away due to someone else’s negligence or intentional act, you may have a claim for damages. Since each case is unique, it is important that you talk to an attorney and let them evaluate your case. This can be done during your free initial consultation
Atlanta Wrongful Death Lawyers Handle All Types of Wrongful Death Cases
A wrongful death case is simply a personal injury case in which the victim cannot sue on their own behalf because they have died. Most wrongful death suits are caused by accidents. However, these cases can be the result of an accident, intentional act, or a crime. Atlanta wrongful death lawyers handle many cases where the victim has passed on, and the family wants justice.
Some of the common causes of wrongful death include the following:
- Motor vehicle accidents – Thousands of people are killed in car accidents every year in this country. This includes car, truck, and motorcycle accidents. They also include pedestrian accidents. Some of the more dangerous types of crashes involve tractor-trailer and motorcycle accidents. These collisions often involve very serious and fatal injuries.
- Construction accidents – Hundreds of construction workers are killed on the job every year. Part of this is due to the dangerous nature of their work. However, many other workers are killed because of faulty equipment and materials.
- Medical malpractice – If a doctor fails to diagnose their patient with a terminal illness, there is a good chance that the patient will die. The same can be said for surgeries in which a fatal error or mistake is made.
- Dangerous drug cases – There are more drugs being identified as dangerous. These drugs can be the basis for a wrongful death lawsuit.
While these are some of the more common causes of wrongful death, this list is certainly not exhaustive. Atlanta wrongful death lawyers are able to handle any situation in which the victim dies as a result of someone else’s actions.
Only Certain Parties May Sue for Wrongful Death in Atlanta
In an ordinary personal injury case, the victim is the one who files suit. Atlanta wrongful death lawyers represent someone other than the victim since the victim did not survive the accident. Wrongful death clients are almost always a family member of the deceased. In Georgia, only certain people may file a wrongful death suit. This includes:
- Surviving spouse of the deceased – If you are the wife or husband of the victim, you may file suit in your own name.
- The parents of a child who was killed. This also includes the parent of an adult victim if the decedent did not have a spouse.
- The personal representative of the victim’s estate. This is often a family member. The estate sues on behalf of the victim’s next of kin.
Atlanta Wrongful Death Lawyers Get Your Family the Damages They Deserve
The purpose of hiring an Atlanta wrongful death lawyer is to get your family damages for their loss. In Georgia, a plaintiff in a wrongful death case is able to demand two types of damages. This includes compensation for the value of the decedent’s life. This includes the following things:
- Lost wages and income the victim would have earned had they survived
- Loss of care and companionship
- Other intangible benefits the deceased provided to their family
The Georgia wrongful death statute also allows you to demand damages for the expenses related to your loved one’s death. This may include:
- Medical expenses related to your loved one’s accident and death
- Funeral and burial expenses
- Pain and suffering damages for any anguish the victim suffered prior to their death
Why You Should Hire an Atlanta Wrongful Death Lawyer
It is always difficult to lose a friend or family member. When their death is caused by the actions of another, it can be devastating. You may feel angry and frustrating. The one thing you know is that you want justice. The best way to do this is to hire an experienced wrongful death lawyer in Atlanta. The attorneys at TorkLaw have decades of combined experience handling these types of cases. They understand who can sue on behalf of the victim. They also understand what sort of damages your family may be entitled to. Wrongful death cases are treated differently from ordinary personal injury cases. This is because the person who has been wronged is no longer able to fight for themselves.
Atlanta wrongful death lawyers are able to fight on behalf of your loved one so that you can focus on what’s important – grieving your loss. They will work tirelessly to make sure the person who caused your loved one’s death is held accountable. This includes the following:
- Your Atlanta wrongful death lawyer will identify the person or persons responsible for your loved one’s death.
- They will determine if the responsible party has insurance that will cover your damages.
- If the defendant does not have insurance, your lawyer will check to see what sort of assets the defendant owns.
- Your attorney will help you gather proof of damages, including funeral expenses, lost earnings, and other losses.
- They will negotiate with the defendant’s attorney and the insurance adjuster to settle your claim. This way, your family does not have to suffer through a long trial.
Of course, this is not an exhaustive list. Every wrongful death case is unique. Your attorney will do what’s necessary to get your family justice.
Your Atlanta Wrongful Death Lawyer
If you lost a loved one in any sort of accident, it could be devastating for your family. Atlanta wrongful death lawyers at TorkLaw will fight to get justice for your loved one. You should contact an experienced attorney at our firm as soon as possible after your loved one’s death. They will work hard to get you the compensation you deserve. Call and schedule your free initial consultation today.