While it doesn’t happen that often, more than 4.5 million people are attacked by dogs every year in this country. And more than 800,000 of these attacks require medical attention. Some of these could be prevented. However, there are times when, no matter what you do, you can’t prevent this sort of thing from happening. You could be walking down the street, and a dog is approaching without a leash. Or you’re at a friend’s house, and they have a dog in the yard. While enjoying a barbeque with your friends, the dog attacks you or your child. This is unfortunate. However, if something like this does happen, you can always call an Atlanta dog bite lawyer at TorkLaw.
Our attorneys have decades of combined experience handling cases like this. They know how to prove that the dog’s owner was at fault. They also know how to prove your damages. They’ll do what they need to do to get you the compensation you deserve. They also know what the dog bite laws are in Atlanta, Georgia.
What is the Dog Bite Law in Atlanta, Georgia?
Dog owners in Atlanta are strictly liable for your injuries in two situations. First, if your Atlanta dog bite lawyer can prove that the dog was vicious or dangerous, you can collect damages. Or, if the dog was supposed to be on a leash and was not, you can demand compensation. But just because the dog was on a leash doesn’t mean you can’t win your case. Your attorney can still prove that the dog’s owner was negligent. For example, if you’re at their house and they’re horsing around with the dog, and you get bit, they may be liable. The same is true for a dog that isn’t vicious. Just because a dog hasn’t attacked someone in the past, that doesn’t mean you can’t file suit.
Will Your Chicago Dog Bite Lawyer Prove a Dog Was Dangerous?
It isn’t always easy to prove that the defendant’s dog was vicious or dangerous. One way to do this is to show that the dog has attacked people in the past. Your Atlanta dog bite lawyer can search the court records to see if the owner has been sued before. You can also check the local records to see if the dog’s owner has ever been fined for not having their dog on a leash.
How Can You Prevent a Dog Bite Injury?
There are ways you can prevent either yourself or your child from being attacked by a dog. A lot of this may sound like common sense. However, it is still worth mentioning. While our Atlanta dog bite lawyers at TorkLaw will fight to get you damages, it’s better to avoid the attack altogether. Always keep the following things in mind when you encounter a strange dog:
- Never antagonize or provoke a dog
- Do not approach a dog that you don’t know
- If you’ve seen a dog act viciously, steer clear of the animal
- Never approach a dog that isn’t on a leash
- Do not try to pet a dog that is sleeping or eating
Despite being careful, there are times when you can’t prevent a dog bite. If that’s the case and you’re injured, all you need to do is call an Atlanta dog bite lawyer at TorkLaw.
Your Atlanta Dog Bite Lawyer Will Fight for Your Damages
Your Atlanta dog bite lawyer at TorkLaw will review your case during your initial consultation. They’ll get a better idea of what sort of damages you may be entitled to. Every case is unique. One client may have a ton of medical bills but didn’t miss any time from work. Another of our clients may be out of work for months but didn’t have many out of pocket medical expenses.
If you do need to file suit, our lawyers will demand the following types of damages:
- Medical bills – The defendant will have to compensate you for any medical bills caused by the dog attack. This includes future medical treatment, as well.
- Pain and Suffering – If your injuries are very painful, you may be entitled to pain and suffering. These damages are intended to compensate you for any mental or physical anguish caused by the dog attack.
- Lost wages or future income – If you can’t work as a result of your injuries, your Atlanta dog bite lawyer can demand compensation. They’ll need to prove how much time you missed from work. They will also need to show that you will lose income in the future as a result of your injuries.
Your compensation will depend on the seriousness of your burn injuries. The best way to know for sure is to sit down with one of the skilled Atlanta burn injury lawyers at TorkLaw.
Call our Atlanta Dog Bite Lawyers at TorkLaw Right Away
If you or your loved one are attacked by a dog, you need to call our office right away. There is a chance that you’re entitled to compensation. The only way to know for sure is to talk to an Atlanta dog bite lawyer at TorkLaw. We’ll review your case and give you an idea of what it’s worth. We can also answer any questions you may have. All you have to do is call our office and schedule your free initial consultation. Sit down with someone who has experience handling this type of case.
In order to prepare for this first meeting, there are a few things you’ll want to bring with you. Try to provide as much of the following information to your Atlanta dog bite lawyer at Torklaw as possible:
- copies of any letters from the defendant’s lawyer or insurance company
- A copy of your medical records
- Proof that the dog has attacked somebody in the past
- proof that the dog’s owner has been cited for not taking care of his dog
- pictures of your injuries
Your attorney will use this information to prepare your case. They will also use this evidence to try to negotiate a settlement with the defendant’s attorney or insurance company. The initial consultation is free, and you don’t have to pay anything until your case is resolved.