There are more than 4.5 million people living in the Atlanta region. There are over 460,000 people living in the city of Atlanta. The people in Atlanta, like people everywhere else, enjoy going out shopping and spending time in public spaces. Not surprisingly, if one were to exclude work injuries, most slip and fall accidents happen in public spaces. Since Georgia is home to more than 50 malls, it’s not hard to imagine how many people fall each year in the stores and common areas of these malls.
Atlanta slip and fall lawyers represent many of the city’s slip and fall victims. They work hard to get their clients the compensation they deserve. If you or your loved one suffer a slip and fall at work or anywhere else, call and speak to an experienced lawyer at TorkLaw as soon as possible.
Slip and Fall Statistics
More than 1 million people visit the emergency rooms every year due to a slip and fall. These accidents result in more than $13 million in medical bills and related costs. Atlanta slip and fall lawyers work hard to make sure the people responsible for their clients’ falls are held responsible for these costs. While many of these accidents take place at work, there are thousands of people every year who are injured while in a public place. Most of these accidents were preventable.
Common Causes of a Slip and Fall
Atlanta slip and fall lawyers represent clients who suffered a slip and fall due to all sorts of causes. However, there are some things that are more likely to cause a slip and fall. Almost all of these causes are the result of negligence on the part of the defendant. They don’t maintain their premises in a safe and clean condition. As a result, you suffer a slip and fall.
The common causes of a slip and fall in Atlanta include the following:
- Wet floor – If the property owner does not keep their floors clean and dry, people are likely to slip and fall. The same is true if they do not put up warning signs that the floor may be wet.
- Broken stairs – Oftentimes, our clients fall as the result of broken stairs. Property owners must ensure that their stairs are in good condition. The same is true of their escalators and elevators.
- Inclement Weather – When it is raining or snowing outside, floors become slippery and dangerous. While stores are required to place “wet floor” signs in their building’s entrance, this does not always happen. This is why so many slip and fall accidents occur during the winter months.
Regardless of the cause of your slip and fall accident, your attorney will gather the necessary evidence to show the defendant was at fault.
Atlanta Slip and Fall Lawyers Fight to Get their Clients the Compensation They Deserve
When you hire your Atlanta slip and fall lawyer, they will work hard to get you the compensation you deserve. Depending on the seriousness of your injuries, you may be entitled to damages. If your injuries are severe, you may be entitled to a significant amount of damages. This will include some or all of the following:
- Medical Bills – When you are first treated for your slip and fall, there is a good chance your private health insurance carrier will cover your medical treatment. This will include your ambulance ride, emergency room visit, and any other care you need.
- Future Medical Treatment – Your doctor may recommend future medical treatment. You may require additional surgeries or physical therapy. Often times, your medical care will extend long after your slip and fall case is settled. Atlanta slip and fall lawyers will demand that the defendant compensate you for any expected future medical treatment.
- Lost Wages – Statistics show that more than 20% of all slip and fall victims miss at least a month from work. The company responsible for your fall needs to be held accountable for these lost wages. Your attorney will submit proof of your lost wages.
- Lost Future Income – If you suffer a back or neck injury in your fall, you may not be able to work again. This means you will be limited to collecting disability. You can demand that you be reimbursed for the difference between what you’ll earn on disability compared to what you would’ve earned had you been able to work.
- Pain and Suffering – These damages are intended to compensate you for the physical and mental anguish caused by your slip and fall. Generally, these damages are equal to anywhere from 1 to 5 times your other damages.
As long as you can prove that the defendant caused your fall, you will be entitled to some of all of these damages. The slip and fall lawyers at TorkLaw will submit the necessary evidence to prove your damages.
Why It is Important to Retain an Atlanta Slip and Fall Lawyer
Regardless of where your slip and fall took place, it is important that you call and speak with an experienced slip and fall lawyer in Atlanta. There is no way to guarantee that your lawyer will be able to get you compensation for your injuries. However, having an attorney will certainly increase your chances of recovering damages. There are certain things Atlanta slip and fall lawyers can do that you cannot be expected to do on your own. This includes:
- Identifying the person or people responsible for your injuries
- Gathering the evidence necessary to prove the defendant was negligent
- Subpoenaing witnesses who can help prove what caused your fall
- Proving damages and demonstrating the severity of your injuries
- Negotiating with the insurance company to get your claim approved and paid
Your Atlanta Slip and Fall Lawyer
If you or a loved one have been injured in a slip and fall, contact the Atlanta slip and fall lawyer at TorkLaw. They have the experience necessary to get you the compensation you deserve. The defendants in these cases tend to have big insurance company lawyers representing them. The attorneys at TorkLaw are not intimidated by the insurance adjustors or their attorneys. That is why it is important that you contact our office as soon as possible and schedule your free initial consultation. You will need to focus on recovering from your injuries. Let your attorney handle the legal side of things.