There are more than 2.9 million people living in Las Vegas, Nevada. And that doesn’t count the more than 40 million people who visit the city every year. These people, especially the tourists, spend a lot of time in the casinos and malls. This means that, on any given day, there are millions of people who could suffer a slip and fall. If one doesn’t consider the number of elderly people who fall due to medical issues, public places are the home of most slip and fall accidents. Las Vegas slip and fall lawyers see dozens of clients every year who need to file a slip and fall lawsuit. Thankfully, more than 95% of these cases are settled long before trial. However, there are times when your TorkLaw attorney will need to file suit on your behalf. If this happens to you, it’s a good idea to call and schedule your free initial consultation sooner rather than later.
Slip and Fall Statistics
Over a million people end up in the emergency room due to a slip and fall. The good news is that most of these people don’t suffer very serious injuries. The other thing to keep in mind is that this number doesn’t include the hundreds of people who don’t visit the hospital. They either think they’re okay or they’re embarrassed and don’t even report the fall. This is a big mistake. If you don’t visit the hospital, there’s no way your Las Vegas slip and fall lawyer can prove that you were injured.
Time Limit to File Your Slip and Fall Claim in Nevada
Regardless of why you fell, it’s a good idea to talk to a Las Vegas slip and fall lawyer. This is the only way to find out if you have a potential claim for damages. If you wait too long, you may the statute of limitations’ deadline. If this happens, you will lose your right to file suit. Your case will be dismissed, and you won’t be able to file suit every again. You only have two (2) years to file your slip and fall lawsuit. The 2 years starts on the date of your fall. This is why you want to make sure you complete an accident or incident report at the location of your fall. Otherwise, there’s no way to prove the fall took place at all.
Your Lawyer Must Prove the Elements of Your Slip and Fall Case
Las Vegas slip and fall lawyers are committed to getting their clients the compensation they deserve. In order to do this, they must prove two things. First, your TorkLaw attorney must demonstrate that the defendant was negligent. In order to do this, they must prove the following elements:
- A dangerous condition existed on the defendant’s property
- They knew (or should have known) about this dangerous condition
- Your attorney must show that the defendant chose not to fix the dangerous condition in a reasonable time
- The plaintiff in a Las Vegas slip and fall case must show that they suffered some sort of physical or economic injury
- You must show that your injuries were actually caused by the defendant’s failure to address the dangerous condition
If Las Vegas slip and fall lawyers can prove these five (5) elements, they will likely be able to recover damages for their client.
The second thing Las Vegas slip and fall lawyers must prove are your specific damages.
Demanding Damages in a Slip and Fall Case in LV
Las Vegas slip and fall lawyers strive to get all of their clients damages for their injuries. However, in order to do this, they must be able to prove that you suffered a loss. It is not enough to show that you fell. You have to show that you were hurt. This typically requires you to prove a physical injury. Unlike a car accident case, there is rarely any property damage involved in a Las Vegas slip and fall case. That makes it all the more important that you visit the emergency room immediately after your fall.
Depending on the facts of your case, your TorkLaw attorney will be able to secure the following damages in your case:
- Medical Bills – If the defendant is liable for your slip and fall, they should be required to cover your medical bills. This includes any medical expenses covered by your primary health insurance company. They will be expected to be reimbursed when you settle or win your case.
- Compensation for Future Medical Treatment – There is a chance that you’ll need future medical care. This could include future surgeries or long-term physical therapy. Las Vegas slip and fall lawyers will hire medical experts, if necessary, to prove that you need future medical care.
- Pain and Suffering – In certain cases, pain and suffering make up the lion’s share of a plaintiff’s case. Las Vegas slip and fall lawyers will need to specifically show that you suffered physical and mental anguish as a result of your fall.
- Permanent Disability – You may not be able to return to work after your slip and fall accident. If this is the case, you’ll end up on permanent disability. You can demand to be compensated for the difference between what you’ll earn on disability and what you would’ve earned had you been able to work full-time.
- Lost Income – If you miss more than a couple of weeks from work, you may be able to demand compensation for lost income. The same is true if you aren’t able to earn as much at your job after the slip and fall.
Benefits to Hiring TorkLaw’s Las Vegas Slip and Fall Lawyers
There is no law that states that slip and fall accident victims must hire Las Vegas slip and fall lawyers. However, there are many benefits to doing so. The attorneys at TorkLaw can accomplish certain tasks that you may be unable to do. These include:
- Locating expert witnesses to prove the extent of your pain and suffering
- Speaking with witnesses to get a statement that can be used to prove fault
- Negotiating with the defendant’s insurance company
- Tracking down proof that the defendant was aware that a dangerous condition existed
Having an experienced Las Vegas slip and fall lawyer can make the difference between winning and losing your case. They know the law and they’re aware of all filing deadlines. There is too much at stake to risk handling this sort of thing on your own. That’s why it’s important that you call and schedule your free initial consultation with a TorkLaw attorney as soon as possible.
TorkLaw – Your Las Vegas Slip and Fall Lawyer
If you fell and hurt yourself while on someone else’s property, you may have a claim for damages. Las Vegas slip and fall lawyers represent clients every year who have suffered a slip and fall. You may be entitled to damages and an experienced slip and fall attorney can help you get the money you deserve. Call as soon as possible after your accident and schedule your free initial consultation.