If you’ve been in an auto accident, and have seen the many TV commercials for personal injury lawyers, you may be wondering, “Should I hire a personal injury attorney?”
The reality is that every situation is different, and there are no hard and fast rules when it comes to personal injury litigation. Not every car accident is a legal matter. If you file a car accident claim with the auto insurance company, and they pay you what you feel you are owed, you may not need a legal service.
However, there are situations in which hiring a lawyer is the best way to ensure you are compensated adequately and fairly for your accident injuries.
If you’ve been in a car accident caused by another driver, you DEFINITELY need a personal injury attorney if :
- You were seriously injured in an accident; for instance, there were broken bones, internal injuries, a hospital stay, or some other long-term impact.
- Someone was killed.
- You need medical treatment that will cost you thousands, even with health insurance.
- You will miss a substantial amount of work or school.
- You are unable to resume your normal life for a long period, or ever.
- You experience pain and suffering, emotional trauma, PTSD, loss of companionship/consortium.
- Your injury is the type that may present complications later.
The above list captures the type of situations in which filing a claim for additional compensation will probably be advised by your law firm.
There are many other areas where a personal injury claim is the best way to receive the compensation you need, the attention of an unresponsive insurance company, or to ensure your rights are being upheld.
You probably need a personal injury if:
- There is dispute over who caused the accident.
- The accident took place in a construction zone or where road conditions were dangerous.
- The police report or insurance information is inaccurate.
- There were multiple vehicles involved in the accident.
- You don’t understand all your options, or the details of your case are very complex.
- You’re not sure about the legal issues involved in your case.
- You suspect there is something you don’t know about the person who hit you, or that you don’t have all the information you need.
- The insurance claims process is taking forever, and you need help paying your medical bills.
- Your insurance claim is denied or reduced for no reason.
- The claims adjuster is offering you an amount that doesn’t cover your injuries or damages.
- The accident involved a defective car part.
- You were riding a motorcycle.
- You were a pedestrian or bicyclist.
- You were hit by a driver who was drunk or under the influence.
- You were hit by an 18-wheeler or bus.
- You were hit by a government vehicle.
- There is a significant amount of property damage.
Some personal injury cases don’t require the services of an attorney.
You probably don’t need to hire a personal injury attorney if:
- No one was injured – there was some property damage that is being handled by the insurance company.
- The potential recovery is small; for instance, if the case would qualify for small claims court, it is probably not worth hiring an attorney.
- The insurance company is playing fair, and offers an amount that fully covers all your damages. (It is important, however, to be confident that nothing unexpected will happen. Once you sign a settlement agreement, you can’t go back for more.)
If you have been injured in a motor vehicle accident, and you think you need to consult with a personal injury attorney, contact TorkLaw. Complete the form on this page, or call us, day or night, at 888.845.9696. We offer free consultations with experts who can offer legal advice and help you navigate a complex legal system.
For more information, read our book online: Accidents Happen: A Consumer’s Guide to the Personal Injury and Wrongful Death System.