Motorcycle ownership and usage have increased throughout the years. Most motorcycle riders have chosen this style of vehicle as their primary mode of transportation for commuting, while others use the motorcycle more for recreation or relaxation. Although motorcycles have a lower percentage of accidents than larger vehicles, they are still prone to accidents. Motorcycles are much smaller than other vehicles and have less protection which results in a higher risk of injuries. Because of its small build, other road users might not see them especially if the weather conditions are bad.
According to a report made by the U.S. Department of Transportation’s National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), there were 89,000 riders were injured in accidents involving motorcyclists and 5,172 were killed in 2017. Although the numbers have gone down throughout the years, it is still a significant amount. Nobody wants to be involved in an accident but there are times that things get out of hand. If a motorcycle accident happened, a motorcycle accident lawyer can help with all legal processes which is very helpful for claiming compensation for any damages or losses.
What Are The Common Causes Of Motorcycle Accidents?
Below are some of the reasons why motorcyclists get into an accident:
- Driving under the influence. Motorcycle accidents can happen when one of the riders is alcohol-impaired. In the report made by the NHTSA, 28% of fatal crashes were driving under the influence of alcohol.
- Unsafe lane changes. Whether it is a driver or a rider, those who fail to properly engage or check for signals when changing lanes can cause collisions.
- Unsafe turns. Some riders and drivers misjudge the distance when making a left turn or a U-turn which might cause accidents.
- Dangerous road conditions. Potholes or damaged pavement can be a cause of accidents, especially when a rider does not pay attention to the road.
- Bad weather. Harsh weather also contributes to motorcycle accidents.
- Distracted driving. Drivers are usually the ones who are victims of distraction but there are also some motorcycle riders who gets distracted by using their phones.
These are just some of the common causes of accidents which can lead to injuries such as head trauma, spinal cord trauma, bone fractures, road rash, and facial injuries. Even if riders are wearing the right safety gear, being more exposed to outside forces with minimal protection is more dangerous for them as compared to car drivers and occupants. This is one of the reasons why a motorcyclist involved in an accident needs to have a lawyer and that is to make sure that maximum compensation is obtained for any damages.
What Are The Type Of Damages One Can Receive From A Motorcycle Accident?
The compensation for a motorcycle accident heavily depends on the nature and extent of the injuries one sustains and the degree of negligence from the other party. Following a motorcycle accident, here are the types of damages that can be received:
- Medical expenses
- Lost income
- Cost of rehabilitative therapy
- Loss of earning capacity
- Loss of life’s enjoyment
- Loss of consortium
- Permanent injuries and disabilities
- Past and future pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
Hiring The Services of a Motorcycle Accident Lawyer
When you are involved in a motorcycle accident, an efficient and knowledgeable motorcycle accident lawyer can aid in proving liability and handling other legal issues in order to get the maximum compensation for all damages. TorkLaw motorcycle accident lawyers have an excellent record in helping injured clients to get what they deserve. Contact TorkLaw today and one of our lawyers will offer a free and comprehensive consultation for any motorcycle accident legal needs.