If you have ever met an avid motorcycle rider, you will know that their motorcycle is more than just a mode of transportation. Being able to ride in the open without the metal of a vehicle surrounding them is a freeing experience. Motorcycles don’t have the safety features that automobiles have, and injuries that occur when riding a motorcycle can cause severe and permanent damage to the rider. If you find that you are the victim in a motorcycle accident, you need the expertise of a Los Angeles motorcycle accident attorney on your side.
Frequent Causes of Motorcycle Accidents
According to the Los Angeles Department of Transportation figures, the primary mode of transportation for 84.13% of Los Angeles citizens is by vehicle and motorcycle. What this means is that there are many instances where accidents could happen. Some of the most common causes of motorcycle accidents are:
- Driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol
- Making unsafe turns
- Making unsafe lane changes
- Debris laying in the road
- Distracted driving, either by the driver of the motorcycle or of an automobile on the road
Injuries Often Associated with Motorcycle Accidents
California law CVC §27803 requires that all riders of a motorcycle wear a helmet while on any type of motorized bike. These helmets are required to be United States Department of Transportation Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (FMVSS) 218. This requirement helps with the reduction of head injuries, which are a significant contributor to motorcycle fatalities.
Even with a helmet, if a motorcycle rider hits their head hard enough during a collision, they can still suffer from head trauma. The severity can depend on the impact and the way the helmet fit on the head of the motorcycle rider. If a rider ends up with a traumatic brain injury, even if it is not fatal, these can lead to long-term disabilities.
When a motorcycle is involved in an accident, there are often broken or fractured bones due to the exposed body. Riding a motorcycle is not like riding in a car. A motorcycle has no protective barrier around them to safeguard against injury. During a motorcycle accident, every bone in the body is vulnerable.
It can be a long process recovering from broken and fractured bones. In most cases, regaining full strength and mobility requires physical therapy. These injuries or extensive therapies may not be covered entirely by insurance policies.
In an accident, motorcycles often slide across the roadway and pavement. Road rash is a result of the bike sliding along with the driver or rider’s body. Nerve damage can result from severe road rash cases. In some instances, skin grafts may have to be done to repair damage caused by extreme road rash.
Why You Need a Los Angeles Motorcycle Accident Lawyer
Going up against insurance companies after a motorcycle accident in Los Angeles can be intimidating. Trying to prove liability in these cases can be complicated at the time, and you will need to be knowledgeable about the area of motorcycle accidents and insurance claims. A Los Angeles motorcycle accident and personal injury attorney can help you with your case. TorkLaw has experts who can handle all of your motorcycle accident claim needs.
Just like any personal injury case, a motorcycle accident case will seek damages from the negligent party in the accident. The types of compensation often sought in these types of cases are:
- Expenses from medical treatment and rehabilitative therapies
- Lost income and wages from being unable to work
- Loss of ability to work
- Permanent injuries and disabilities from the injuries sustained in the accident
- Pain and suffering caused by the accident
- Significant emotional and mental distress
TorkLaw also helps identify any other compensation that may be needed in your particular case. We take great pride in seeing to your needs on an individual level. Don’t settle for just any Los Angeles motorcycle accident lawyer.
Information Needed From the Accident
After a motorcycle accident occurs, there is information that needs to be gathered, if you can do so. This information is going to be needed when you go to your Los Angeles motorcycle accident lawyer for a case consultation. Essential things you need to remember while at the scene of the accident:
- Assess yourself and any rider that may have been with you and call 911 immediately. You need to have trained medical personnel check you out to ensure there are no underlying injuries.
- If you can do so, obtain information from the other person involved in the accident. This information will include things like:
- Phone number
- Insurance company
- Policy number
- Vehicle information
- Never, ever, say anything that could be considered an admission of guilt. This could be used against you at a later time if you need to file a claim.
- Get the information from the police officer who makes the accident report. Get the report number so that you will have it when you go to a lawyer.
- You should call for legal representation right away if suffering from injuries sustained in a motorcycle accident.
TorkLaw: Los Angeles Motorcycle Accident Lawyers You Can Trust
Just as passionate as motorcycle riders are about their bikes, TorkLaw is passionate about your motorcycle accident case. Our Los Angeles office specializes in personal injury cases that include your motorcycle accident claim. Since these types of cases can be complicated to prove liability in, our experts know what it takes to bring about real results.
Los Angeles has hundreds of roadways where anything could go wrong in the blink of an eye. An accident can occur, and life can be changed in a split second. TorkLaw understands how fragile this time can be for you and your family. We handle your case with professionalism and respect. Give TorkLaw’s Los Angeles office a call at 888.845.9696 to get your free case consultation.