If You Have Been Diagnosed With Non-Hodgkin’s Lymphoma and Used Roundup
If you have been diagnosed with non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma and used Roundup, you should contact TorkLaw to assess your product liability case. The use of Roundup herbicide has been linked to cancers, including non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma, despite the label calling it safe for exposure by humans.
On June 24, 2020, Bayer, Monsanto’s parent company, agreed to a settlement amount of $10 billion for Roundup cancer lawsuits across the country. Of this $10 billion, $1.25 billion is being set aside for future claims of cancer from Roundup exposure.
If you or someone you love has been diagnosed with non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma or another type of cancer that is linked to exposure of Roundup, call TorkLaw for a case evaluation. Compensation benefits may be available.
What is Roundup?
Roundup is an herbicide, also referred to as a weed killer, that is produced by Monsanto and contains glyphosate. Glyphosate is now the most commonly used chemical for eliminating weeds that compete with crops. Since the mid-1970s, Monsanto has been using glyphosate in their Roundup line of products.
Since Monsanto’s first line of Roundup products lined the shelves, they have stated that the herbicide is “safe to humans and the environment.” Glyphosate has been classified as a Group 2A herbicide, meaning that it is probably carcinogenic to humans and has the potential to cause cancer. Cancers that have been associated with glyphosate exposure include:
- Non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma
- Hematopoietic Cancers
- Lymphocytic lymphoma/chronic lymphocytic leukemia
- B-cell lymphoma
- Multiple myeloma
It is estimated that 93% of us have glyphosate present in our bodies. The mass use of the chemical as an herbicide can be found in most things that we eat due to the high usage.
Monsanto is still claiming that glyphosate-based herbicides, which include Roundup products, do not create reasonable risks to humans. In 2018, Bayer acquired Monsanto and its products. Bayer stated that they plan to appeal all jury verdicts awarded from the cancer claims against Monsanto and Roundup.
The Monsanto Papers
Despite the evidence that has been brought forward against Monsanto, they still deny that Roundup causes cancer. As a part of the recent lawsuits, documents were uncovered that have been entitled “The Monsanto Papers.” These documents became evidence in the lawsuits and showed the deceit and lengths that Monsanto went to cover up the information about Roundup and the danger of glyphosate.
Monsanto has claimed to use scientific knowledge in an attempt to discredit the claims brought against them. Investigations showed that Monsanto had articles ghostwritten and published in toxicology journals about how safe their products are. An independent academic website was also created to discredit allegations behind the company.
As far back as 1999, there is evidence that supports that Monsanto attempted to create their own network of scientists who worked to promote the safety of glyphosate. After investigations were conducted, two of the firms were found to be performing fraudulent acts.
Product Liability Lawsuits Against Monsanto
To establish a valid product liability claim, the following must be proven:
- You suffered injury or losses
- The product is defective
- The defect in the product caused your injury
- You used the product as it was intended to be used
Some of the more recent Roundup lawsuit payouts include:
- August 2018: The jury in the case took the side of a school groundskeeper from California who developed skin lesions and terminal cancer after using Roundup. He was awarded $289 million.
- March 2019: A 70-year-old man who used Roundup on his lawn for over 20 years ended up with non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma. He was awarded $80 million in the Monsanto Roundup lawsuit.
- May 2019: A jury in California awarded a couple $2 billion after they developed non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma after using Roundup for over 30 years.
- The jury involved in this case decided that Roundup is a defective product, Bayer and Monsanto failed to warn consumers of the potential harm the product caused, and that the company was negligent.
The number of lawsuits that have followed after these initial cases is currently in the thousands.
Individual Lawsuit or Class Action Lawsuit?
Lawsuits against Bayer’s company Monsanto are currently being filed as individual lawsuits and class action lawsuits. While both are seeking compensation from the company for their negligence, they are both different in structure. The way that the award amount is handled is also very different.
In an individual lawsuit, you are the plaintiff. As the plaintiff, you are represented by a product liability lawyer who is focused solely on making your case. In the event of a settlement or award amount, after the legal fees, you get the remaining amount.
Class action lawsuits do not work in the same manner. The product liability lawyer will be representing multiple parties against the defendant, in this case, Monsanto’s Roundup. If there is a settlement or award amount, besides paying the legal fees, this amount is split among every party listed as plaintiffs in the lawsuit.
Of the three most recently settled cases against Monsanto and Roundup, the three plaintiffs all suffered from non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma. Non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma is cancer that starts in the lymph nodes.
The existence of non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma can be confirmed through tests run by a medical professional. The most common symptoms that patients experience with non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma are:
- Swollen lymph nodes
- Pain in the abdomen or stomach
- Chest pain
- Shortness of breath
- Weight loss
- Chronic fatigue
- Night sweats/chills
- Skin rash
- Loss of appetite
- Nausea or vomiting
- Difficulty with moving
If you or a loved one have experienced these symptoms and have used Monsanto’s herbicide called Roundup, you should contact your medical provider.
Risk Factors for Developing Cancer from Roundup
Glyphosate is the most common chemical used in herbicides today. Anyone who has been exposed to Roundup or any other herbicide is at risk for developing non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma or another related cancer.
Those who may be at the highest risk of developing cancer-related to the usage of Roundup include:
- Avid home gardeners
- Garden center or nursery workers
- Those working in horticulture fields
- Landscape architects
You May Be Entitled To Compensation
Before going up against large companies like Bayer and Monsanto, you need to hire an experienced product liability lawyer to handle your lawsuit. Experienced product liability lawyers, like those at TorkLaw, know what it takes to get you the compensation you deserve.
As a client, your product liability lawyer will:
- Gather evidence that is necessary for your lawsuit
- Legal teams assigned to product liability lawsuits against Monsanto’s Roundup will gather the evidence necessary to prove that you were exposed to glyphosate. They will also use your medical history that supports the claims in your case. With the proper permissions, TorkLaw can recover medical files on behalf of the victims in the lawsuit.
- Seek out supporting evidence
- The legal team will also obtain other types of documentation, including but not limited to work history, medical records, and necessary treatment. There must be enough evidence to prove all the elements of negligence.
- File the claim on your behalf
- Once your team has gathered the necessary evidence that links your illness to Monsanto and Roundup, they will file a claim in the court system in charge of handling these cases.
Big companies like Bayer or Monsanto do not easily shake lawyers who handle personal injury and product liability cases. Hiring TorkLaw to represent you in a product liability case can help you receive your compensation for your non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma or another related cancer lawsuit.
Who Can File A Product Liability Lawsuit?
Anyone who has been affected by the effects of Monsanto’s Roundup could potentially file a lawsuit against the company. The most common plaintiffs in these types of cases are:
- Victims are the ones who have developed non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma or other types of cancers that are associated with the use of glyphosate.
- Family Members
- If the victim of cancer caused by Monsanto’s Roundup has died, the immediate family may be able to file a wrongful death lawsuit. The wrongful death lawsuit would state that the usage of Roundup led to the victim’s death.
- Estate Managers
- The estate manager of a victim who died from cancer that is linked to Roundup’s line of products and the glyphosate in them can file the lawsuit. Estate managers are often family members, close family friends, or even legal representatives.
TorkLaw Can Help
If you or someone you love has recently received a diagnosis of non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma and has used Monsanto’s Roundup, you may be entitled to compensation. The product liability lawyers at TorkLaw can help you with your legal claim and gathering the evidentiary proof to support it. Contact us today at 888-845-9696 for a free case consultation.