Truck accidents can be the most serious of all motor vehicle accidents in California. Our Sacramento truck accident lawyers meet with clients all the time who suffer very serious injuries in their accident. This is because the driver of a car or SUV simply doesn’t stand a chance when going up against a large truck. It’s usually the driver of the car or SUV who suffers the brunt of tractor-trailer crashes. What our lawyers do is fight to make sure you get the compensation you deserve.
It wouldn’t be fair to say that truckers are responsible for all of the truck accidents in Sacramento. However, given the long hours these drivers work, it isn’t surprising that they get into crashes from time to time. What you need to know is how to react if you’re ever involved in this kind of wreck. In order for our Sacramento truck accident lawyers to get you damages for your injuries, we need to be able to prove your case. To do this, we have to do two things. First, we must prove that the truck driver was at fault. Second, we need to prove that you actually suffered damages of some sort. Here, we’ll talk about what to do immediately after a truck accident so you can protect your legal rights. We’ll also talk about what some of the most common causes of truck accidents are in Sacramento.
What Should You Do Immediately After a Truck Accident?
If you’re involved in a truck accident, there are a few things you need to do. If you don’t follow these basic steps, you can hurt your chances of recovering the compensation you deserve. Our Sacramento truck accident lawyers do their best to get our clients as much money as possible. But that is a lot easier if we have the evidence necessary to prove your case. In order to do this, you need to make sure you do the following immediately after your Sacramento truck accident:
- Call 911: One of the biggest mistakes some of our clients make is they agree not to call the police. The only way to really document what happened is to call 911. If the truck driver asks you not to, there’s a reason. Maybe they’re over their legal limit on hours logged in a single day. Or, they could be under the influence of drugs or alcohol. You have no idea. Let the police do their investigation. This way, our Sacramento truck accident lawyer will have a copy of the accident report to work with.
- Go to the hospital: Whether you want to or not, you need to go to the hospital. You may think you’re not injured that bad. Then, a few hours or days later, you end up in the emergency room. That’s the last thing you want to do. Not only can you get seriously hurt, but you can also die. You also don’t want to give the defendant the opportunity to argue that your injuries were caused by something other than the truck accident.
- Call our office and talk to a skilled Sacramento truck accident lawyer at TorkLaw: The best thing you should is call one of our lawyers as soon as possible after the crash. You don’t want to wait too long. That’s because you only have a certain amount of time to file your claim. If you miss the statute of limitations in California, you won’t be able to sue at all.
If you do these three things, you’ll increase the chances of winning your case. You don’t want to make our job any harder than it already is.
TorkLaw’s Sacramento Truck Accident Lawyers Know the Most Common Causes of Truck Accidents
Our truck accident lawyers at TorkLaw have decades of combined experience handling truck accidents. They know what the most common causes of these accidents are. They’re going to look for evidence of the following in order to prove that the defendant was at fault:
- Driver fatigue
- Drive inexperience or poor training
- Overturned vehicle
- Poor lighting on the vehicle
- Distracted driving
The police report will help your Sacramento truck accident lawyer determine some of this information. However, we’ll also look at the driver’s history and safety inspection records. We’ll also look to make sure the driver’s logs were up to par. If not, that can be used to demonstrate that they were responsible for your accident.
What Kind of Damages Will You Be Entitled to After Your Crash?
If you’re injured in a truck accident, our team of lawyers will fight to get you as much money as possible. You have to remember – it’s not our job to make you rich. Our job is to make you whole. We do need to prove actual damages in order to win your case. Some of the damages you may be entitled to include the following:
- Medical bills and future medical treatment
- Any lost wages or lost future income
- Pain and suffering
- Property damage
- Permanent disability
Each case is unique, so we won’t know what sorts of damages you’re entitled to until after we review your case. That’s why you should schedule your free, initial consultation with TorkLaw’s Sacramento office sooner rather than later.
Our Sacramento Truck Accident Lawyer Will Help Prove Your Case
In order to prove your case, our Sacramento truck accident lawyer needs to prove negligence. This means we will need to demonstrate that the defendant owed you a duty of care. We also have to show that they breached this duty. Of course, we must show that you were injured. But we also have to prove that your injuries were caused by the truck driver’s breach. In order to do this, we need as much evidence as possible. We also need as much time as possible to prepare.
Schedule Your Free Initial Consultation with Our Office as Soon as Possible
If you or your loved one are hurt in a truck accident, call our office immediately. Our Sacramento truck accident lawyers at TorkLaw can help you get the compensation you deserve. The consultation is free, and you won’t pay a dime until your case is resolved.