Most people think of dogs as being man’s best friend. But that isn’t always the case. Even dogs have bad days. This means that every year, hundreds of people are seriously injured in vicious dog attacks. If you happen to be one of these people, you need help. You should call our office and meet with one of our Dallas dog bite lawyers as soon as possible after your attack.
What is the Dog Bite Law in Dallas, Texas?
Texas, and Dallas, follow something called the “one bite rule.” This means that if the dog has attacked or bitten anyone in the past, the owner is automatically liable. If you can prove this, or if the court has this on record, it won’t be hard to prove your case. However, if the dog has never attacked anyone before, your Dallas dog bite lawyer at TorkLaw needs to show that the pet’s owner was negligent.
How Can Your Dallas Dog Bite Injury Prove a Dog Is Dangerous?
If the dog that attacked you had bitten someone before, then the “one bite rule” in Texas will apply. However, there is a chance that the dog has never attacked anyone prior to biting you. This means your Dallas dog bite lawyer may need to prove that the dog is dangerous. There are a few things they can do to make this happen.
The first thing your lawyer should do is check with animal control to see if any attacks or bites have been filed prior to yours. They can also check with the local courts to see if the pet’s owner has ever been sued before. They can also look to see if you have a video of the way the dog was behaving prior to the attack. If the dog was clearly vicious or unfriendly, the dog’s owner should have taken reasonable measures to protect the public.
What are Some Tips to Prevent a Dog Bite Injury?
Nobody leaves the house and plans to get attacked by a dog. But there are some things you can do to prevent suffering from a dog bite. Some of these may seem obvious. However, any court will look to see if you used common sense prior to the attack. If not, you may be found partially at fault for your injuries.
Here are some common tips for preventing yourself or your child from being attacked by a dog in Dallas:
- Never antagonize or provoke a dog
- Do not approach a dog that you don’t know
- If you’ve seen a dog act viciously, steer clear of the animal
- Never approach a dog that isn’t on a leash
- Do not try to pet a dog that is sleeping or eating
As long as you use common sense and follow these tips, you should be safe. But there are times when, no matter how you behave, you can still get hurt. If that happens to you, then call and talk to our office as soon as possible.
What Sort of Damages Can a Dallas Dog Bite Injury at TorkLaw Get You?
If you suffer a dog bite, your Dallas dog bite injury lawyer at TorkLaw may be able to get you damages. It all depends on the facts of your case. If you can prove that the defendant was negligent or that the dog bit someone before, you’re probably going to prevail in your case. If that is so, you may be entitled to some or all of the following:
- Medical bills – If you had to get medical treatment for your dog bite, you can demand compensation. If your doctor thinks you’ll need future medical treatment, we can demand compensation for that as well.
- Pain and Suffering – Obviously, if you’re attacked by a dog or animal, you’re going to suffer some pretty painful injuries. Pain and suffering damages are meant to compensate you for any mental or physical anguish caused by the attack.
- Lost wages or future income – If your injuries are serious, you may be out of work for a while. If this is the case, your Dallas dog bite lawyer is going to show proof of any missed time. You can demand compensation for these losses.
- Permanent Disability – If you happen to end up on disability due to your injuries, you may be entitled to disability. You may be able to demand that difference between what you’ll earn on disability compared to what you would’ve earned at your prior job.
Every case is unique. The only way to know for sure what you’re entitled to would be to meet with one of the Dallas dog bite lawyers at TorkLaw.
Talk to a Skilled Dallas Dog Bite Injury Lawyer Today
If you are attacked by a dog, you may have a claim for damages. As discussed above, there are certain times when a dog’s owner is automatically liable for your damages. There are other times when your Dallas dog bite lawyer needs to prove negligence. Either way, our attorneys here at TorkLaw know the law. We’ll review your case and let you know if you have a claim for damages.
The only way to know for sure what your rights are is to talk to a Dallas dog bite lawyer sooner rather than later. If you did something to antagonize the animal, you probably aren’t going to win your case. Or, if you knew the dog was dangerous and approached it anyway, you may be found partially at fault. You want to be open and honest when you meet with your lawyer for the first time.
Call our office and talk to one of our staff so you can schedule your free initial consultation. Sit down with someone who’s handled dozens of cases like yours before. They’ll give you an honest opinion of what your case is worth. They’ll also let you know how your case will proceed. The consultation is free, and you don’t have to pay until your case is resolved.