Free Case Consultation

Don’t Delay – Contact us Today!

Does the court have to approve a settlement for a minor?

Does the Court Have to Approve a Settlement for a Minor?

In California, whenever a minor has received a settlement, there must be a court-appointed Guardian who signs on behalf of the minor child.  This Guardian must then petition to the court to approve any settlement obtained on behalf of the minor child.

Under the law in California, a minor cannot sign contracts.

A court/judge must then approve any settlement received and how the money will be handled (i.e. blocked bank account, annuity etc..) and how it will be distributed in the future.