Being involved in a car accident can be a chaotic experience, and it’s difficult to remember everything you should and shouldn’t do. Here’s a quick list and a **printable infographic** to help you remember:
At the Scene
- Make sure you and others are safe:
- Pull off the road.
- Take care of anyone who needs medical treatment – call 911.
- Call the police to report the accident.
- Gather evidence: document the accident with multiple photos, insurance information, contact information, and notes on what happened.
- Call your own tow company and have your car towed to a trusted location.
- Don’t make statements about who was at fault. Be calm, respectful, and compassionate, but avoid language like “my fault,” or “I’m sorry about what I did.”
- Don’t decline medical treatment at the scene – have the paramedics check you over even if you don’t think you’re injured.
- Don’t leave without talking to police to provide your version of events. Ask for their contact info and the police report number.
After the Incident
- See a physician as soon as possible for a complete check-up, to avoid a treatment gap that might harm your claim. Save copies of your medical bills.
- File an SR-1 form with the DMV within 10 days if anyone was injured or killed, or property damage exceeding $1000.
- Obtain a copy of the police report and check it for accuracy.
- Call your insurance company to report the accident and file a claim.
- Call TorkLaw at 888-845-9696 if you have a personal injury accident case, or if you are experiencing any problems with the claim process.
- Don’t repair your car until you determine whether you need the services of an accident reconstruction expert.
- Don’t post anything on social media about your accident or injuries – you may want to stay off social media entirely until your case is resolved.
- Don’t agree to be recorded by the insurance company, or make any statements without your attorney’s advice.
- Don’t sign anything or agree to a settlement without your attorney’s advice.
You can print this infographic and save it for future reference:
At TorkLaw, our personal injury attorneys offer free initial consultations for car accidents, motorcycle accidents or many other types of injury accidents. There is no obligation to hire us, and we work on a contingency basis, so you won’t pay anything unless we win your case. Call our law offices today at 888-845-9696.
A highly regarded and well-respected trial lawyer, author and speaker, Reza Torkzadeh is the founder and managing attorney of TorkLaw – a premier plaintiff’s personal injury law firm specializing in complex catastrophic injury and wrongful death cases.
Reza’s performance in and out of the courtroom has earned him several of the industry’s top awards and professional recognitions, and a reputation as an elite litigator. He has earned millions in settlements, verdicts, and judgments for his clients.
If you would like a free consultation, please contact us today.